ViewRanger, the award winning outdoors GPS navigation app, today announces an enhancement to their web-based community & route planning tool My.ViewRanger.com, so that whole of NZ LINZ topographic mapping is now viewable and can be used to plan routes more accurately. By adding online access to LINZ topographic maps within the My.ViewRanger website, the company has created a fully integrated web and mobile outdoors route planning and navigation service. ViewRanger users can now view the maps for the whole of NZ online at no additional cost.
The ViewRanger app is designed to work without mobile coverage, this is done by downloading and storing the maps for the area or region required. For off-line, mobile usage, customers can purchase the LINZ mapping they need either in-app for Apple and Android devices or via the Viewranger web shop for Symbian smartphones. Ready for the start of this summer season ViewRanger have reduced the purchase price for all LINZ mapping and introduced easy to install low cost regional maps for Apple & Android devices.
My.ViewRanger.com has proved a huge hit with ViewRanger mobile app customers as it provides a web based desktop route planning and search tool that can be used via any connected pc, mac or laptop. And as it works seamlessly with the mobile app, it’s then a one click upload to their Apple, Android or Symbian mobile device, so that routes are installed, and ready to “hit the trail”. It’s proved a real bonus to clubs and communities who are using the service to share routes & invites and has also been very well received by professional outdoor trail publishers because it enables ease of publishing, improved route discovery and free widgets to embed route maps in their own websites, blogs, and facebook sites
Up until today, the My.ViewRanger website has offered route planning and discovery using open source global web map layers such as Google Maps, OpenStreetMap and Satellite imagery. From today, all customers can now additionally, use the website to view the whole of New Zealand LINZ 1:50K mapping is available to view and use free of charge.
Commenting on the changes Craig Wareham CEO at ViewRanger stated “This is the next logical step for ViewRanger as we continue to innovate in our market. For the first time this makes desktop route planning and mobile GPS navigation truly seamless for anyone into Outdoors activities, for any web connected pc, mac or laptop, for any Apple, Android, and Symbian smartphone or tablet and across the widest number of countries. Whether planning a trip, out exploring the outdoors, or reviewing their outdoor adventure, ViewRanger users have unmatched access to the best topographic map charts available.”
ViewRanger are also launching access to premium mapping for GB, Ireland, France and Germany and plan to add further countries from their global mapping portfolio onto My.ViewRanger.com in the near future.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Premium mapping describes all official cartographic agency maps ie LINZ, GB Ordnance Survey, or US National Geographic Topo!.
- It is free to create an account on My.Viewranger.com. The service allows users to view and plan routes on LINZ mapping for the whole of NZ online at no additional cost. However, for other countries there are web-view annual whole country subscription packages (online only) to plan routes on, prior to purchasing areas for mobile off-line use.
- To use LINZ mapping on a mobile and off-line via the ViewRanger app it is necessary to install the app purchase and download the map area or region using in-app purchasing or via the ViewRanger webshop. Pricing (NZD’s) 1:50K maps as follows:
For Symbian & Android phones (via ViewRanger webshop)
- Whole of NZ approx $40 (subject to currency exchange)
- North Island approx $18 (subject to currency exchange)
- South Island approx $27 (subject to currency exchange)
For Apple & Android devices
Map credits $26.99 buys 1000 credits (equivalent to 134,000 sqkm) or Regions of NZ (in-app purchase)
- Northland $2.59
- Auckland $2.59
- Waikato $2.59
- Bay of Plenty $2.59
- Gisborne $2.59
- Manawatu-Wanganui $4.19
- Hawkes Bay $2.59
- Taranaki $2.59
- Wellington $2.59
- Nelson-Marlborough $4.19
- West Coast North $2.59
- West Coast South $2.59
- Canterbury North $2.59
- Canterbury South $4.19
- Otago North $4.19
- Otago South $4.19
- Southland North $4.19
- Southland South $2.59