View a map
It is very easy to move around the ViewRanger map, just follow these basics:
- To move around the map use the cursor pad or on touch screen phones touch and drag
- To zoom into the map press the * key
- To zoom out from the map press the # key
- On touch screen phones use the zoom buttons
- As you zoom in and out, ViewRanger will show the most appropriate scale of map for the current zoom level. This is known as auto scale.
- To connect to the GPS and then have the map follow the GPS location, press Lock to GPS or simply press 2.
View a specific map
Normally ViewRanger automatically shows the map for your current GPS location and zoom, but if you wish to look at a specific map then do the following:
- From ViewRanger's Options menu choose Data manager
- Scroll down until the Maps item is highlighted
- Press the cursor pad centre, bulls eye button, or the right cursor key to go into the list of maps
- Use the up and down cursor keys to highlight a map, or on touch screen phones the scroll bar
- Press the cursor pad centre or bulls eye button to display the context menu
- Choose View to swap to the Map view, which will show the map just selected
As you zoom in and out, ViewRanger will show the most appropriate scale of map for the current zoom level that is available at the current location. This is known as auto scale.
For example, you are viewing a 1:50,000 scale map at half size. Zoom in once and you see the 1:50,000 scale map at full size. Zoom in again and you swap to seeing the 1:25,000 map at half size. Zoom in again and you see 1:25,000 at full size.
You can switch auto scale off by pressing the cursor pad centre or bulls eye button to show the context menu, then going to the Map scale & zoom sub-menu and choosing Auto scale off.
Map legends / keys
These are map legends explaining what the various map symbols means: