The ViewRanger for Schools education programme delivers educational licenses to use ViewRanger as a teaching and learning tool. Via the education programme, schools will receive Ordnance Survey maps for the whole of Great Britain. These maps are for use in conjunction with the free ViewRanger GPS software application, which can be downloaded from many app stores.
What you get through the ViewRanger for Schools education programme:
The following detailed Ordnance Survey maps for the Whole of Great Britain:
- 1:50.000 Landranger (2.7 GB)
- 1:25.000 Explorer (9.8GB)
- 1:250.000 Road Atlas (116MB)
- UK Altitude data (300MB)
- Optional 1:10,000 StreetView (12.5GB) is also available, however you can also use the free open source maps instead in order to save space.
Free annual map updates
Free access to Global Open Source maps:
- Available for Online & Offline use: Open Street Map, OpenCycleMap and a Ski Map.
- Available Online only: Bing Aerial Imagery
Maps can be used offline via the ViewRanger app on smartphones and tablets (Android smartphones & tablets, iPad and iPhone).
They can also be used on Laptops & desktops via the my.viewranger.com website. My.viewranger.com can be used for route planning and map viewing online.
- An educational license to use ViewRanger as a teaching and learning tool for up-to 25 mobile devices per license .
- 20% discount on ViewRanger maps for other countries (a full list of the counties we cover can be found here)
- Regular software updates with new features and functionality
- Enhanced technical support
What you don’t get:
Smartphones, tablets and computers. You need to source your own compatible (Android and iOS) smartphones or tablets.
There are various education programmes in place from leading device manufactures such as Apple, Samsung, google and many more which will make it easy for educational institutions to obtain discounted devices. We're happy advise you on the programmes available.
Who can apply for a ViewRanger Educational Licence?
To qualify for this licence you must be a School or Teachers’ Training Establishment defined as:
- School = means a state, public or independent school in Great Britain which is properly authorised as a School by the Department for Education or the Scottish Executive Education Department (or their successors) and has a unique DCSF Reference Number, or its Department for Education equivalent or Scottish SEED number. European schools and further education institutions are excluded.
- Teachers’ Training Establishment = means an institution in Great Britain accredited as a provider of teacher training courses by the Training and Development Agency for Schools, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, the General Teaching Council for Scotland, or their successors.
If your organisation is not based in Great Britain, or you are not sure whether your organisation qualifies under the license listed above, then please contact Ben Howard : email@example.com or call +44 (0)1223 421 355
Colleges, academys, higher education and further education. Although excluded from the Ordnances Survey's special prices, we may be able to offer a discount on the standard map prices. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
MoD, Youth Groups, Scouts, Guides and other youth groups and charities do not fall under the terms of the ViewRanger Educational Licence and can use our standard consumer products (normally providing 5 user licences) or contact ViewRanger for larger multi user licences (greater than 25 licences).
What does it cost?
- Primary schools: £149
- Secondary Schools: £249
What you agree to in return:
- To use ViewRanger and provide feedback on ViewRanger and its use within your organisation.
- That ViewRanger can reference your organisation in its marketing materials and on its website, and put your organisation's logo on partners page of the ViewRanger website.
- To supply free mapping licenses only to bona fide students and teachers of your organisation.
What you need to do to apply:
- Download and complete the License Request Form and have this form signed by an authorised officer of your organisation.
- Don’t forget to indicate how many software licenses you need (1 per class of up to 25 people). You can request further licenses at any time for a small fee.
If it is the first time that your organisation has requested a ViewRanger licenses, you will also need to submit an electronic copy of your organisation's logo.
- Return the form to Augmentra:
by email: email@example.com
by fax: +44 (0)1223 421 355
by post: Augmentra Ltd, St John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Rd, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK
Augmentra Ltd reserves the right to refuse any license request without specific reason, but particularly if it believes that licenses are being provided to non-members or that the scheme is being abused in any way. Augmentra reserves the right to terminate the Program at any time and to request that all licenses obtained by an organisation are ceased to be used.