A new beta release of ViewRanger for Android is available. The changes include:
Local and online search
- Search for place names and post/zip codes.
- Searches ViewRanger gazetteer (.VRG) files stored on the phone.
- Optionally connects to an online search service.
Route and POI editing
- Handles shown when creating or editing a route, so you can see the point being placed.
- Toggle between adding/moving POIs/waypoints and panning the map using the pan button.
- Double tap the map to zoom in.
- New titlebar with configurable map text, Quick-Navi button and location search button.
- Map cross hair shown to indicate centre of map, the point for which the coordinate and altitude is shown.
Numeric Coordinate Entry
- Enter coordinates numerically.
- Choose between a range of coordinate formats.
- Centre the map on a specific coordinate
- Set the coordinates or a POI or waypoint.
- Updated Context and Options menus throughout.
- New single-press context button on map view.
- Tap the navigation arrow to see the navigation context menu.
Plus a number of bug fixes and numerous small improvements.
More details of the changes are in the wiki.
To install the beta use your phone's web browser to go to www.viewranger.com/vranbeta. Tap on the Android logo shown to download, then tap on the downloaded file to install. Sorry, the beta is not available through the Android Market, so if you use a Market version you'll need to wait for the release.